Here are a "few" of my fave tv and films about time travel!
The Time Machine (1895) written by H.G. Wells. This 32,000 word story is one of my favorite time travel adventures! Made into 3 movies! 1960, 1978, 2002 You must see the original before the remakes...I love them all!
The term "time machine", was coined by Wells!
This fantastic BBC Tv Show originally ran from 1963 to 1989, (1996 tv film), and relaunched in 2005 and still running! The shows listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running science fiction television show in the world! I really can't express how in love I am with this show! I love the characters, the music, the aliens, everything! I want a tardis and a sonic screw driver! Also a great family show! The kids are addicted to it as much as me!
Planet of the Apes (1968)
I remember staying up all night to watch marathons of this movie on Citytv! I think this was my first time travel movie I saw! The one that made me fall in love with time travel! I didn't really care for the remake...but the original films are awesome! perfect for an all night movie marathon....hmmm I just might have to have a party soon!
Planet of the Apes was followed by four sequels:
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
- Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971)
- Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972)
- Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973)
Back to the Future (1985)
This is one of my absolute fave movies! Yes of all time! I even had it playing on Christmas morning(I have pics to prove). My kids love this movie too. If you need a great family movie for movie night pull this one out for the fam!
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
I remember watching this film when it first came out. I loved it! It was silly and fun to watch. Very recently I notice this movie at our local library and borrowed it for my kids to see. They think it is great! And have borrowed it many times since to see again! Now to find them the sequel Bill and Ted's Bogus Adventure!
Quantum Leap (1989-1993)
A time traveling tv show I remember watching with my family. i always looked forward to watching this show every week! I need to find find some dvd seasons for the kids to see!
Opening narration - The series' original opening narration was read by Scott Bakula:
|"It all started when a time travel experiment I was conducting went..."a little caca". In the blink of a cosmic clock, I went from quantum physicist to Air Force test-pilot. Which could have been fun...if I knew how to fly. Fortunately, I had help – an observer from the project named Al. Unfortunately, Al's a hologram, so all he can lend is moral support. Anyway, here I am, bouncing around in time, putting things right that once went wrong, a sort of time traveling Lone Ranger, with Al as my Tonto. And I don't even need a mask... ("Oh Boy")"|
12 Monkeys (1995)
inspired by Chris Marker's 1962 short film La jetée, and starring Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe,Brad Pitt, and Christopher Plummer. It has been awhile since I have seen this film. But I remember how I loved how the story weaved all the plots together.
Crime Traveller (1997)
I just found this tv series at my library. It is a fun tv program about solving crime through time travel.
The rules of time travel in the series are as follows:
- You must not meet yourself in the past. It is not clear what would result if you did, but it is presumed the consequences would be dire.
- You cannot change the past. One of the results of this restriction is that the effects of the time traveller's journey back in time are already visible "before" the journey is made.
- You cannot exist more than twice in the same time frame. If you try to go back a second time, the machine will simply fail to operate.
- When "in the past", you must get back to the time machine by the time you "left". Otherwise, you will be trapped in a "loop of infinity". This is what happened to Holly Turner's father. (This apparently conflicts with rule 3, as the time traveller would have to be at the machine at this moment, otherwise they couldn't have used it to travel into the past).
- The time machine never travels into the future. Holly tells Jeff in the first episode "You can't travel into something that doesn't exist."